Lancaster Priory

Lancaster Priory Slider
Lancaster Priory Slider

St Mary’s Parish Church, Lancaster (Lancaster Priory) has a long organ history that was interrupted briefly (in terms of ecclesiastical time) by the introduction of an electronic device that seems not to have lasted. A scheme was therefore developed whereby the redundant 3-manual Willis organ of 1915 from St John’s South Shore, Blackpool was rebuilt and installed at the west end, behind a case once in Great Harwood Church. At the same time, the 2-manual Harrison & Harrison organ of 1910 once in Blackburn High School for Girls was rebuilt and installed within the original Paley & Austin case on the north side of the north choir aisle. Both instruments are played from a detached console on the south side of the choir.

All told, the organ consists of 56 speaking stops (51 ranks) and 2,842 pipes.

A Short History of the Organs by Dr Gerald Sumner is available from the church.

Time Lapse Video of West End Construction: